Are you bored with the taste of your favorite recipe breakfast sausage? Do you want to try something a little more daring and unique in your sausage making? Then give this one a try. It’s very good.
Almost everyone likes the taste of a little sweetness with their breakfast, and nothing does that better or more traditionally than real maple syrup.
Make sure you use the real maple syrup though. Imitators just don’t taste as good.
- 5 lbs 80% lean boneless pork shoulder
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fine ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rubbed sage
- 1 very finely chopped large onion
- 1/2 cup real maple syrup
- 1/2 cup ice water
- Trim the pork, cut it into 1 inch cubes, and grind it through the fine plate of your meat grinder.
Mix the spices with the ice water
Combine the spices and onions and maple syrup with the ground meat and mix very thoroughly for at least 2 minutes
Stuff into small sheep casings, 3/4 inch collagen casings, or make into patties.
Like all other fresh sausages, this recipe needs to be cooled as soon as it is done. It can be kept in the refrigerator for 2-3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- My family loves this sausage with pancakes and more maple syrup for breakfast. It also works very nicely in sausage and egg breakfast burritos.
- I’ve tried using “maple flavored” syrup and imitation maple flavoring in this recipe, and it just doesn’t turn out nearly as well.